Communicative strengths
I have learnt that one of my strengths in communication is that I am able to project my voice clearly and loudly. This was evident in both my oral presentations (practice and actual test) and was feedback to me by my peers and facilitator; "Johnson is able to capture my attention because he speaks clearly and loudly".
Another strength that my peers and tutor has highlighted to me is that I vary my tone and voice, which makes my message less boring.
Communicative weaknesses
One of my weaknesses that I have identified is that I tend to speak very fast. During both presentations, I talked very fast due to the time constrain that was given but I realized in classroom situations, I tend to speak quite fast as well. One way I hope to overcome this is to deliberately slow down my speech and enunciate my words clearly so that I can slow down my speech.
Another weaknesses that was highlighted to me was that I tend to speak in third person while talking to the class. An example would be, "Mr Chee is very angry with you." My tutor noted that while it is not something gravely wrong, she feels that it may lack a personal touch when I keep communicating in a third person's perspective. I think one way I would work on this is to vary between using first person's perspective (I am angry with you all) and third's person's perspective (Mr Chee is very angry with you.) and see which one works in the situation (the message is received better).
Things I have learnt and want to work on
I have learnt many other things through the course, for example, how to write a formal email with proper headings, subject and who to cc and bcc. I want to continue to work on writing properly and stick to good email communication skills instead of falling to my old ways of informal email communication in schools.
No comments:
Post a Comment